Pages

Short Story Competition: Solo

A short story by Anna, 10, IntoUniversity Nottingham Central



Sigh.  Double maths again.  I wish I was someone else, somewhere else.  Suddenly I hear a voice call out behind me, “Hey loser.”  I turn around.  “Zara did you hear about the talent show?”  Oh I suppose you didn’t because you live under a stone,” she sneers.  I turn on my heel, blinking back tears and walk away. 

I cross the playground and walk into the science block.  As I go towards my classroom I hear a voice say, “Ah, Lucie…”  I look back and see Miss Anderson looking at me with her cool grey eyes.  She continues “I need a trusted pupil to help me with the stage for the Talent Show and you are perfect.  Come to the school hall sat 11.30, here’s a note to show to your teacher.  Now go to class.” As I walk to my next class I think about the Talent Show and whether I should enter.  I couldn’t.  Everyone would laugh at me.

That night I toss and turn, the other worldly blackness of the night smothering me.  Suddenly I open my eyes.  I am in my own bed, but something feels wrong.  I hear my mum shout “Breakfast, Lucie!”  I pull on my uniform and hurry downstairs.  After breakfast I grab my bag and walk to the bus stop.  A few minutes later a bus draws up to the kerb.  I step on, pay the driver and find a seat. 

When I get to school, Miss Anderson pounces on me and exclaims “time for the Talent Show Lucie or should I say contestant number 7?”  “Oh, um, what?”  I gasp in reply.  “Come along” says Miss Anderson briskly.  “We’ll be late if we don’t hurry.”  I walk along beside her in a flurry of bewilderment.  When we reach the main hall I see that the stage is up and performers are gathering around it.

It’s time.  My turn.  I walk on stage.  I start singing.  The words come to me as if I’d known them for years.  As I finish, the audience start roaring.  I feel myself go up and up.  I look down.  My feet are not touching the ground.   I am flying!
I sit up in bed. It was all a dream!  I can sing!  I know it!

It is the day of the Talent Show (for real this time!) and everything is going smoothly.  As I wait beside the stage for my turn, Zara sidles up to me.  “Ready to fail loser?”  “Thanks for the encouragement, Zara!”  I reply brightly.  My name is called.  I step out onto the stage, the rainbow lights dazzling my eyes.  I begin to sing, my voice soaring, the sound filling the room.  Then the audience are standing, applauding. I did it! 


This short story was written by Anna, a Year 6 student at IntoUniversity Nottingham Central. Anna's entry was shortlisted in the 2015 IntoUniversity Short Story competition - we will be sharing other shortlisted entries over the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment