Pages

Short Story Competition: Emma

A short story by Lola, 12,
IntoUniversity Brent

Hi. My name is Emma and this is all you need to know about me. I am 11 years old and I have a passion for dance. Street dance in particular. I have one sister called Eliza and she believes that I will go far doing dance as a career. Mum says dance is not going to get me anywhere as it is not a career starter. I always argue with her and tell her that dance is my passion but she disagrees. I hate my mum because she does not see me for who I really am. I go to this dance club. Obviously I can’t enter any dancing competitions as I would get into so much trouble by my mum. I know my sister wouldn’t tell on me but my mum still would find out if I came home at nine o clock!

So I was walking to school when Eden came up to me. Eden is my most loyal friend. She asked me “Are you gonna dance at that ‘Bring your Talent And We’ll Bring You Your Future’ competition? I am.” 

I was SO frustrated because she knew that my mum would NOT let me. “Of course I’m coming!” I lied. Eden asked me to dance with her so I said yes. What have I got myself into? I can’t let Eden down now. I’m gonna have to go behind mums back.

Four weeks later

The day of the competition is here. It is about seven o’clock. My sister just comes barging into my room. “What do you think you’re doing? Where are you going? Does mum know about this?” She is asking so many questions so I just tell her everything. As usual, Eliza is helping sneak me out and is covering up for me.

I met Eden at the front of the arena. She was waiting for me with an eager smile on her face. This lady gave us our numbers and it turned out we were going up second. I had butterflies as I could hear the first act being booed off the stage. As we went on, there was dead silence. I was so scared and my heart was pounding against my chest. Eden introduced us and we started getting ready to dance.

Just as we were about to start, my mum came through the doors as my sister was screaming “Mum, at least give her a chance to show you what she can do!” But mum wasn’t listening. I started dancing. Mum stopped in her tracks and looked at me.

When we finished, mum was clapping and it looked like she had tears. I went over to talk to her and she hugged me...


Eden and I came second. We were offered the chance to dance at an official club. I only have one message. Follow your dreams. We all have a talent. Find yours and use it.


This short story was written by Lola, a Year 7 student at IntoUniversity Brent. Lola's entry was one of eight stories shortlisted in the 2015 IntoUniversity Short Story competition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment